By KEVIN WHITE
Arcadian photographer and sometime travel correspondent Priscilla McDaniel records word and camera impressions during a May visit from her sister, Diane, over 20 days. McDaniel also documents day trips with her grandson, Chris. Her stories don’t reflect a vendor or any endorsement for such. …
I love this time of year for many reasons, but perhaps my favorite thing about early summer is the farmers market. I make sure to stock up on kettle corn, sweet corn, cornhole bags, candy corn, and top off my peppercorn grinder.
When I choose topics to cover and places to visit for this column, I tend to lean towards fun activities, all of which I enjoy. But there is another side to what I hope to accomplish in this space every week, and that is to inform readers about places where they can be educated about differe…
Celebrating DeSoto County’s colorful heritage and our tasty food was the focus of Saturday’s 2nd Annual Florida Cracker Meal at the Turner Center. Traditional cracker cuisine, music, stories, costumes and contests highlighted the fun evening hosted by the DeSoto County Historical Society. Ev…
Sunday is Mother’s Day. Parenting gets complicated and no one dodges mistakes. So to honor your mother/mama/mom/madre/mum, we’ve listed what others have said about these dear women, hoping that you pilfer one for that late Mother’s Day card, or recite it in her memory.
Sebring author and Arcadian contributor Mark Barie is a 2019 Eric Hoffer Book Award finalist. Hoffer competition includes almost 2,000 entries from the English-speaking world.
Spring is in full swing (here in the north). The bugs are back, seasonal allergies have come out of hiding, and “for sale” signs in front yards are as plentiful as dandelions. If this were a cartoon, all my Realtor friends would have cash register “ka-ching” sounds going off while dollar sig…
We’ve all heard of Cinco de Mayo, especially here in Arcadia. But where did it come from, what does it mean and how is it celebrated today?
I can still remember buying my copy of “Webster’s Encyclopedic Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language” back in high school. It was raining that day, and I scurried into the local bookstore during lunch. This glorious red rectangle caught my eye with its shimmery gold-embossed letters.…
The Easter Bunny put on the dog at Sunday’s farmers market in Punta Gorda’s History Park in celebration of Easter. The bunny was portrayed by a tall vendor, so you can see that the bunnysuit was pretty big. I confess to having tweaked the bunny’s tail—itself the size of a football. Official …
Members of Arcadia Literary Club met April 10 at the lovely home of Debi Halvorson. Debi and co-hostesses Beau Carson, Kim Bonner, Muriel Hall and Bonnie Molloy served members blueberry and peach cobbler, cheese and crackers, fruit, candies and punch.
When you’ve been freelance writing for the Venice Gondolier for as long as I have, you begin to think you know everything there is to know about the town’s storied history. But there’s nothing like taking a historic walking tour with a true expert to enlighten you as to how much you really d…
Grab a cup of coffee early on a Sunday morning. And in the pre-dawn dark around 6:15 a.m. head south from Arcadia on U.S. Highway 17. Less than 25 miles later, you will enter downtown Punta Gorda. It is dusk, still and quiet. There’s very little traffic as you cross both directions of U.S. R…
The L&E Club met on April 2 at the beautiful home of Betsy Sorrells to celebrate National Poetry Month and to hold their annual business meeting. The members were greeted by hosts Margaret Hays and Genie Martin and enjoyed a butter cake with cream pineapple frosting which was a treasured…
- Chevy's 2019 Camaro, Detroit muscle with 'cheaper' option, Len Ingrassia, 07/18/19
- Getting properly possessive, we can work it out (Grammar Guy), 07/18/19
- Heaven sent, excursions among the stars, Victor C. Rogus, 07/18/19
- True faith, 'the conviction that God loves us'
- Our American symbols—are they worth protecting?
- Ride & Slide for Arcadia at Mustang Promise ranch
- History's mysteries: DeSoto census workers 100 years ago
- Friday Night Lights' scrimmage showcase
- 'Go as fast as you can. Go as fast as you can. Go. Go. Go...'
- Facebook Comments
- State adds bite to shark fishing rules
- Movie guide: What's opening this week
- End of the road for Volkswagen Beetle
- How food truck owners beat the heat
- Five bucks gets presidential debate visit
- Truck flips at 70/17
- Homeless camp cleared at former Winn-Dixie
- Corizon not doing its job at county jail
- DeSoto Co. obituaries, 07/11/19, Goodwin Westberry
- Bouncehouse: DeSoto Mens Basketball, Camp Koonce
- Exercise to manage anxiety and depression
- Friday Night Lights with Pee Wees and Juniors
- 4-H Dairy Daze day camp, whose milk is golden?
- Is ‘gotten’ rotten? and other refreshers (Grammar Guy), 07/11/19
- Help wanted: US Census Bureau needs you!
- Few choice words, learning biking lingo
- Can we talk? Celebrate July 4th, in spite of ... (part 2)
- DeSoto Co. ag briefs, 07/11/19
- Rooting out invaders, invasive lantana
- DeSoto business briefs, 07/11/19
- DeSoto letters, 07/11/19
- State mobilizes in Hep A battle
- Hike into pioneer history at Rye Preserve, Arcadia day-tripping
- Fishing story to remember, 'unforgettable experience'
- Washington’s vision at Valley Forge—America’s destiny?
- Lexus's RX 450 L, roomy and classic quality, Len Ingrassia, 07/11/19
- Luke Wilson cartoon, 07/11/19
- 5 brilliant household uses for hairspray
- Arcadia wishes America happy birthday! No. 243 ... and counting
- Fuel prices dip, FDOT's new commuter app
- APD says man threatened another with gun
- Man arrested second time in a month
- Man held on drug, weapons charges
- Police beat
- Jones gets 2-year sentence on drug, weapon charges
- Mustang Promise ranch, horsing around is healthy
- I scream, we all scream about contaminated ice cream, Luke Wilson, 07/11/19
- Arcadia HPC minutes, next up on Aug. 12
- Nuco gets tax break, ground-breaking by October
- History's mysteries: Who lived at 618 E. Oak St.?