The Activities Committee and residents of Oakview Estates held their second annual St. Patrick’s Day on March 17. The afternoon started with a parade of golfcarts in the spirit of St. Patrick’s Day. As the parade meandered through the park, a secret judge chose the winner of the best decorat…
Arcadia crime rates decreasingArcadia police report drops in most crime statistics in 2018 over the previous year, according to Arcadia PD Marshal Matthew Anderson. Overall crime in town was down about 20 percent, with an uptick in arrests, 432 versus 484 in 2018, Anderson said, attributing …
L&E Club members met at the lovely home of Nancy Ambler on Feb. 5 for their monthly meeting. Co-hostesses for the event were Edith Wildt and Shelia Knoche. Members enjoyed blueberry poundcake.
The 12th annual DeSoto Arts and Humanities Council Art Show runs through Feb. 15. Artists opened at the Martin Art Gallery on Thursday. First place was awarded to Jimmy Peters, second place to Tom Homan and third place to Wanda Carter. Show judge was Heather Arenas.
Arcadia Mobile Home Park on Jan. 9 welcomed DeSoto Sheriff James Potter to the coffee hour held Wednesday mornings in the clubhouse. He spoke about how residents can keep safe in an ever-changing world of evolving scams targeted to seniors. Don’t recognize the phone number blinking on your c…
Alex the African lion is a new resident at the Lions, Tigers & Bears Wildlife Refuge in DeSoto County. Alex came to his new home at 4 years old after starting his signature roaring, which is why he now is at Lions, Tigers & Bears. His previous home was in a residential area near Tamp…
The Suncoast Campaign for Grade-Level Reading is facilitating a series of Book Circles open to the community to explore “The Power of Presence,” written by Peabody Award-winning author Joy Thomas Moore. Moore will visit Sarasota to kick-off the Book Circle opportunity in an event open to par…
We are so happy to represent Arcadia Moose Lodge 1327 for the work we are doing for veterans that are homeless or in the hospital. There are many programs out there for veterans, but we’ve never seen one for the veterans who are in the hospital, nursing home or government housing. They need …
- Staffer of the Month
- Luke Wilson cartoon, 05/16/19
- Viewing the heavens, ignore voices to quit, coffee helps, 05/16/19
- Go green! (sort of, kind of sold on electric vehicles)
- DeSoto obituaries, Patterson, Baker, 05/16/19
- L&E Club's fun adventure: Solomon's Castle
- Peace River Chapter DAR March/April meetings
- Christmas dreams—but did you know ...
- Stop the assault on local governments' authority
- About time to enjoy and appreciate this ride called life, Luke Wilson, 05/16/19
- Disaster kit on a budget (week 18 of 20)
- Man gets two-plus years for witness tampering; brother serving six
- Three-vehicle wreck on State Road 70
- APD says woman threatened informant via Facebook
- Man arrested on charges of battery, resisting arrest
- To-do list: Highlands Hammock State Park on Saturday
- Fowl play: chicken nuisance rules modified
- Hometown profile: Yellow Deli Bakery coming, buns moving for final 'push'
- Our websites now have a small fee but lots of 'freedom'
- Our websites now have a small fee and new perks
- Gas prices declining, but will it last?
- New ZR1 fastest Corvette ever, less $$ than exotics, Len Ingrassia, 05/09/19
- Death sentence for Florida’s schools, opinion, 05/09/19
- Just something about that special person we call Mom
- DeSoto letters to the editor, 05/09/19
- Tips on avoiding RAS Syndrome (Grammar Guy)
- Adams dominates in 1-0 thriller over Pirates
- Fort Ogden picnic, once was to 'orate and distribute cards'
- DeSoto celebrates National Day of Prayer, 05/09/19
- Cleaning the other environment, start with you and me, Roger Campbell, 05/09/19
- DeSoto ag briefs, 05/09/19
- Customer Appreciation Party says 'thanks' to workers
- Luke Wilson cartoon, 05/09/19
- Congratulations to DCHS achievers!
- Great job, Lee!
- Sunday is Mother's Day, what we say about mom
- Season of growth ends in 12-2 loss
- Bless your mother this Sunday, say something good, Judith Doctor, 05/09/19
- Win finishes perfect Senior Night, one and done from here
- DeSoto briefs, 05/09/19
- Water: We’re in it together, Elton Langford, 05/09/19
- Man charged with molesting child held on $1.5 million bond
- Pair charged with impersonating cops
- Arc DeSoto, class time fused with athletic pursuits, Jimmy Peters, 05/09/19
- Send-off for a fallen comrade, husband and dad
- Woman allegedly stabbed husband
- Did bombing contaminate Babcock-Webb?
- Police beat, 05/09/19
- Sebring writer's national recognition
- Starting next year, drivers could be ticketed for texting while driving