A strong southwest wind is perfect for exploring the southern part of our county by bicycle—or a ride farther into Charlotte County. And after the trek in, you’ll sail home with the wind pushing from behind. We chose the communities of Hull and Fort Ogden as our destination for a recent Sund…
After the wind dies down and we all start to emerge from our safe havens to survey the damage, the real work is about to begin. There are some very important things to remember at this time because this is when the most injuries happen. In addition, it is during the aftermath of a disaster w…
Millennium Physician Group, founded in Port Charlotte and headquartered in Fort Myers, has been named “Innovator of the Year” by the health care industry publication Healthcare Innovation. The company has doctors in Arcadia.
There’s something about waking up in beautiful Southwest Florida on a Saturday morning that just makes me want to jump out of bed and get outside. And if I can find a way to incorporate a little of my weekend workout into that activity, all the better.
Evacuation shelters … a liferaft in the stormLast week we discussed what you should expect concerning sheltering at the general population/pet friendly shelter, usually at the Turner Agri-Civic Center. Now let us address shelters for people with special needs. The DeSoto County Special Needs…
I am so tired of politicians screaming like a bunch of kids ... for ice cream. “Medicare for all” and “pre-existing conditions” are the latest buzz words that our leaders in Washington are shouting from dawn to dusk. Unfortunately for Washington, however, every American is different and it i…
This is a story of a woman, a story of strength, of tragedy, and of rising from the ashes to build a dream. It’s the story of Heloise Badenhorst.
Mental health is a growing issue in the United States, as a whole, and DeSoto County is no exception. So far in 2019 there have been eight mental health cases filed, compared to a total of 24 cases filed in 2018.
April Debrow is an Arcadia native today living in Daytona Beach. She is an author, domestic violence and child molestation advocate and is pursuing a degree in social work. She has overcome that which she advocates for on behalf of others: abuse. A product of the 1970s, sexual molestation an…
The Tobacco Free Partnership of DeSoto County and the Florida Department of Health’s Tobacco Free Florida program are raising awareness about the dangers of smokeless tobacco such as chew and dip during Through With Chew Week, which runs Feb. 19-25, with the Great American Spit Out—a day whe…
- Staffer of the Month
- Luke Wilson cartoon, 05/16/19
- Viewing the heavens, ignore voices to quit, coffee helps, 05/16/19
- Go green! (sort of, kind of sold on electric vehicles)
- DeSoto obituaries, Patterson, Baker, 05/16/19
- L&E Club's fun adventure: Solomon's Castle
- Peace River Chapter DAR March/April meetings
- Christmas dreams—but did you know ...
- Stop the assault on local governments' authority
- About time to enjoy and appreciate this ride called life, Luke Wilson, 05/16/19
- Disaster kit on a budget (week 18 of 20)
- Man gets two-plus years for witness tampering; brother serving six
- Three-vehicle wreck on State Road 70
- APD says woman threatened informant via Facebook
- Man arrested on charges of battery, resisting arrest
- To-do list: Highlands Hammock State Park on Saturday
- Fowl play: chicken nuisance rules modified
- Hometown profile: Yellow Deli Bakery coming, buns moving for final 'push'
- Our websites now have a small fee but lots of 'freedom'
- Our websites now have a small fee and new perks
- Gas prices declining, but will it last?
- New ZR1 fastest Corvette ever, less $$ than exotics, Len Ingrassia, 05/09/19
- Death sentence for Florida’s schools, opinion, 05/09/19
- Just something about that special person we call Mom
- DeSoto letters to the editor, 05/09/19
- Tips on avoiding RAS Syndrome (Grammar Guy)
- Adams dominates in 1-0 thriller over Pirates
- Fort Ogden picnic, once was to 'orate and distribute cards'
- DeSoto celebrates National Day of Prayer, 05/09/19
- Cleaning the other environment, start with you and me, Roger Campbell, 05/09/19
- DeSoto ag briefs, 05/09/19
- Customer Appreciation Party says 'thanks' to workers
- Luke Wilson cartoon, 05/09/19
- Congratulations to DCHS achievers!
- Great job, Lee!
- Sunday is Mother's Day, what we say about mom
- Season of growth ends in 12-2 loss
- Bless your mother this Sunday, say something good, Judith Doctor, 05/09/19
- Win finishes perfect Senior Night, one and done from here
- DeSoto briefs, 05/09/19
- Water: We’re in it together, Elton Langford, 05/09/19
- Man charged with molesting child held on $1.5 million bond
- Pair charged with impersonating cops
- Arc DeSoto, class time fused with athletic pursuits, Jimmy Peters, 05/09/19
- Send-off for a fallen comrade, husband and dad
- Woman allegedly stabbed husband
- Did bombing contaminate Babcock-Webb?
- Police beat, 05/09/19
- Sebring writer's national recognition
- Starting next year, drivers could be ticketed for texting while driving