By VICTORIA VILLANUEVA-MARQUEZ
Florida gas prices continued to decline through the Memorial Day holiday weekend. The daily average price for gasoline is now the lowest since March; yet travelers found the lowest Memorial Day gas prices in two years. Florida gas prices now average slightly below $2.60 per gallon. The state…
A strong southwest wind is perfect for exploring the southern part of our county by bicycle—or a ride farther into Charlotte County. And after the trek in, you’ll sail home with the wind pushing from behind. We chose the communities of Hull and Fort Ogden as our destination for a recent Sund…
After the wind dies down and we all start to emerge from our safe havens to survey the damage, the real work is about to begin. There are some very important things to remember at this time because this is when the most injuries happen. In addition, it is during the aftermath of a disaster w…
Millennium Physician Group, founded in Port Charlotte and headquartered in Fort Myers, has been named “Innovator of the Year” by the health care industry publication Healthcare Innovation. The company has doctors in Arcadia.
There’s something about waking up in beautiful Southwest Florida on a Saturday morning that just makes me want to jump out of bed and get outside. And if I can find a way to incorporate a little of my weekend workout into that activity, all the better.
Evacuation shelters … a liferaft in the stormLast week we discussed what you should expect concerning sheltering at the general population/pet friendly shelter, usually at the Turner Agri-Civic Center. Now let us address shelters for people with special needs. The DeSoto County Special Needs…
I am so tired of politicians screaming like a bunch of kids ... for ice cream. “Medicare for all” and “pre-existing conditions” are the latest buzz words that our leaders in Washington are shouting from dawn to dusk. Unfortunately for Washington, however, every American is different and it i…
This is a story of a woman, a story of strength, of tragedy, and of rising from the ashes to build a dream. It’s the story of Heloise Badenhorst.
Mental health is a growing issue in the United States, as a whole, and DeSoto County is no exception. So far in 2019 there have been eight mental health cases filed, compared to a total of 24 cases filed in 2018.
April Debrow is an Arcadia native today living in Daytona Beach. She is an author, domestic violence and child molestation advocate and is pursuing a degree in social work. She has overcome that which she advocates for on behalf of others: abuse. A product of the 1970s, sexual molestation an…
- Chevy's 2019 Camaro, Detroit muscle with 'cheaper' option, Len Ingrassia, 07/18/19
- Getting properly possessive, we can work it out (Grammar Guy), 07/18/19
- Heaven sent, excursions among the stars, Victor C. Rogus, 07/18/19
- True faith, 'the conviction that God loves us'
- Our American symbols—are they worth protecting?
- Ride & Slide for Arcadia at Mustang Promise ranch
- History's mysteries: DeSoto census workers 100 years ago
- Friday Night Lights' scrimmage showcase
- 'Go as fast as you can. Go as fast as you can. Go. Go. Go...'
- Facebook Comments
- State adds bite to shark fishing rules
- Movie guide: What's opening this week
- End of the road for Volkswagen Beetle
- How food truck owners beat the heat
- Five bucks gets presidential debate visit
- Truck flips at 70/17
- Homeless camp cleared at former Winn-Dixie
- Corizon not doing its job at county jail
- DeSoto Co. obituaries, 07/11/19, Goodwin Westberry
- Bouncehouse: DeSoto Mens Basketball, Camp Koonce
- Exercise to manage anxiety and depression
- Friday Night Lights with Pee Wees and Juniors
- 4-H Dairy Daze day camp, whose milk is golden?
- Is ‘gotten’ rotten? and other refreshers (Grammar Guy), 07/11/19
- Help wanted: US Census Bureau needs you!
- Few choice words, learning biking lingo
- Can we talk? Celebrate July 4th, in spite of ... (part 2)
- DeSoto Co. ag briefs, 07/11/19
- Rooting out invaders, invasive lantana
- DeSoto business briefs, 07/11/19
- DeSoto letters, 07/11/19
- State mobilizes in Hep A battle
- Hike into pioneer history at Rye Preserve, Arcadia day-tripping
- Fishing story to remember, 'unforgettable experience'
- Washington’s vision at Valley Forge—America’s destiny?
- Lexus's RX 450 L, roomy and classic quality, Len Ingrassia, 07/11/19
- Luke Wilson cartoon, 07/11/19
- 5 brilliant household uses for hairspray
- Arcadia wishes America happy birthday! No. 243 ... and counting
- Fuel prices dip, FDOT's new commuter app
- APD says man threatened another with gun
- Man arrested second time in a month
- Man held on drug, weapons charges
- Police beat
- Jones gets 2-year sentence on drug, weapon charges
- Mustang Promise ranch, horsing around is healthy
- I scream, we all scream about contaminated ice cream, Luke Wilson, 07/11/19
- Arcadia HPC minutes, next up on Aug. 12
- Nuco gets tax break, ground-breaking by October
- History's mysteries: Who lived at 618 E. Oak St.?