Like they say: Practice, practice, practice. Athletes with the Arc DeSoto Special Olympics golf team hit the practice range last week at Arcadia Municipal Golf Course. Coaches, a swing expert and the players squared up for driving, putting, chipping and iron practice, tuning up for competiti…
Celebrating DeSoto County’s colorful heritage and our tasty food was the focus of Saturday’s 2nd Annual Florida Cracker Meal at the Turner Center. Traditional cracker cuisine, music, stories, costumes and contests highlighted the fun evening hosted by the DeSoto County Historical Society. Ev…
It’ll be nearly two years when the Oak Park Inn in downtown Arcadia informally re-opens on June 6 with a DeSoto County Chamber of Commerce ribbon-cutting. The historic structure dating to around 1905 had over the decades survived fire, storms and other calamities. But Hurricane Irma in Septe…
The morning of Sept. 18, 1997, I made a special effort to document the occultation of the planet Saturn. This event was a rather rare one, an occurrence that I had looked forward to with great anticipation. Saturn’s disappearance behind the lunar disk occurs once in an approximate 18-year cy…
Technology in disastersOften when we think of disasters, we envision our entire existence being knocked backwards into the stone ages. The lights don’t work, the AC is out, and our food starts to spoil. This isn’t always the case. Sometimes, some of our critical infrastructure survives.
Just when America’s favorite sports car couldn’t improve, along comes Corvette’s newest iteration of salivating engines to hike its world-class standings. The new ZR1 boosts the thrill to more than 700 horsepower, joining an elite circle of Lamborghini and Ferrari exotics ... for a lot less coin.
Occasionally I’m asked why DeSoto County is part of the Peace River Manasota Regional Water Authority—why doesn’t the county have its own water plant?
Peddler’s Boutique closes Mother’s DayAfter 18 years in downtown Arcadia, Pam Ames and Linda Williams will close their business. Peddler’s Boutique had started as Basket Peddler, transitioned to a women’s fashion shop about 10 years ago, said Ames, who is Williams’s daughter and business ass…
After the wind dies down and we all start to emerge from our safe havens to survey the damage, the real work is about to begin. There are some very important things to remember at this time because this is when the most injuries happen. In addition, it is during the aftermath of a disaster w…
Peyton Peacock, an Arcadia hometown girl, leaves this weekend to compete in one of the largest cheerleading events with only the best teams from all over the United States.
Bicycling is a great activity for families, offering benefits for kids that include exercise, freedom and fun. Children build muscle tone, coordination skills, endurance and stamina through cycling. Cycling fosters a sense of independence, and is an excellent lifetime fitness activity. Famil…
It seems that no matter where you turn these days, someone is always complaining or being critical about something. It’s getting more difficult to escape from the negativity, and it’s having a harmful impact on our culture. We are quick to blame the news, social media, politicians or our per…
- Staffer of the Month
- Luke Wilson cartoon, 05/16/19
- Viewing the heavens, ignore voices to quit, coffee helps, 05/16/19
- Go green! (sort of, kind of sold on electric vehicles)
- DeSoto obituaries, Patterson, Baker, 05/16/19
- L&E Club's fun adventure: Solomon's Castle
- Peace River Chapter DAR March/April meetings
- Christmas dreams—but did you know ...
- Stop the assault on local governments' authority
- About time to enjoy and appreciate this ride called life, Luke Wilson, 05/16/19
- Disaster kit on a budget (week 18 of 20)
- Man gets two-plus years for witness tampering; brother serving six
- Three-vehicle wreck on State Road 70
- APD says woman threatened informant via Facebook
- Man arrested on charges of battery, resisting arrest
- To-do list: Highlands Hammock State Park on Saturday
- Fowl play: chicken nuisance rules modified
- Hometown profile: Yellow Deli Bakery coming, buns moving for final 'push'
- Our websites now have a small fee but lots of 'freedom'
- Our websites now have a small fee and new perks
- Gas prices declining, but will it last?
- New ZR1 fastest Corvette ever, less $$ than exotics, Len Ingrassia, 05/09/19
- Death sentence for Florida’s schools, opinion, 05/09/19
- Just something about that special person we call Mom
- DeSoto letters to the editor, 05/09/19
- Tips on avoiding RAS Syndrome (Grammar Guy)
- Adams dominates in 1-0 thriller over Pirates
- Fort Ogden picnic, once was to 'orate and distribute cards'
- DeSoto celebrates National Day of Prayer, 05/09/19
- Cleaning the other environment, start with you and me, Roger Campbell, 05/09/19
- DeSoto ag briefs, 05/09/19
- Customer Appreciation Party says 'thanks' to workers
- Luke Wilson cartoon, 05/09/19
- Congratulations to DCHS achievers!
- Great job, Lee!
- Sunday is Mother's Day, what we say about mom
- Season of growth ends in 12-2 loss
- Bless your mother this Sunday, say something good, Judith Doctor, 05/09/19
- Win finishes perfect Senior Night, one and done from here
- DeSoto briefs, 05/09/19
- Water: We’re in it together, Elton Langford, 05/09/19
- Man charged with molesting child held on $1.5 million bond
- Pair charged with impersonating cops
- Arc DeSoto, class time fused with athletic pursuits, Jimmy Peters, 05/09/19
- Send-off for a fallen comrade, husband and dad
- Woman allegedly stabbed husband
- Did bombing contaminate Babcock-Webb?
- Police beat, 05/09/19
- Sebring writer's national recognition
- Starting next year, drivers could be ticketed for texting while driving