DeSoto Memorial Hospital was blessed to receive a gracious donation of a baby grand piano from Martha Craven in memory of her husband Chuck Craven. The new addition is in the hospital’s main lobby. Those interested in playing, please call 863-993-7601 to schedule a time.
Holly Nagel is the pastry chef at Wheeler’s Cafe in Arcadia. The Maine native is a graduate of the Auguste Escoffier School of Culinary Arts. She has been in Florida for about nine years and believes dessert goodies are in her DNA.
DeSoto County abounds with lightly traveled two-lane roads perfect for bicycling. The Owens area was once a thriving rural community with enough young people to warrant a two-room schoolhouse. Now, only the schoolhouse and the Mt. Ephraim Baptist Church remain—the church was rebuilt after Hu…
Not only did the DeSoto Girls Basketball club team raise some money for their trip to the national tournament, but fans in attendance saw an exciting game that had them on the edge of their seats at the end.
All of us at DeSoto Memorial Hospital would like to apologize in advance for any inconveniences we may be causing by instituting a new safety policy at the hospital. In an abundance of caution and in an attempt to provide a safe and secure environment for our patients, our visitors and our s…
Albert Favors, 35, of Clewiston, Florida, was transferred Wednesday morning to the Department of Corrections to begin serving a 15-year sentence for numerous burglary and theft charges.
Michael Shannon Bolding, 29, of Winston-Salem, North Carolina, came to DeSoto County in January 2015 as a crew member for the company that provided rides and amusements for the DeSoto County Fair. While he was working, he was injured and was taken to DeSoto Memorial Hospital for treatment.
In less than three weeks, things will heat up in DeSoto County. A public hearing to decide whether phosphate mining moves forward in rural DeSoto happens July 24-25. Those behind Mosaic’s rezoning application will make their case, and those against it expressing strong opposition in the cour…
Arc-DeSoto Special Olympians had a great day at the Arcadia Municipal Golf Course, piling up practice time and awards on July 27 in County Games competition, which leads to Special Olympics Area Games in Naples this Aug. 4. Players in six events putted, chipped and drove the ball at the cour…
With the July 4 travel holiday approaching, fuel prices in the last week jumped a few pennies. And gas from last season is up more than 55 cents per gallon, averaging $2.72 in Florida this week. Gas was $2.15 per gallon in 2017. After trading around $65 per barrel two weeks ago, oil rocketed…
The Hon. Gilbert Smith Jr., judge for the12th Judicial Circuit and author of “Lawyers and Legends of Manatee County: The History of Lawyers in Manatee County from 1855 to 2012,” will speak to the DeSoto County Historical Society at their monthly meeting on July 12. Free and open to the publi…
Steven Allen Mays, 20, was sentenced in May to serve seven years and 11 months in state prison on a charge of lewd and lascivious behavior with a victim between the ages of 12 and 16.
Scott Martell and the Bloomer team will be competing against some 1,200 other contestants at the International Finals Youth Rodeo in Shawnee, Oklahoma, July 8-13. The IFYR, also known as the Cheyenne of High School Rodeo, prepares cowboys to move up to the next level, offers 11 performances …
Last Friday local basketball players got the opportunity to show what they can do on the hardwood court. The inaugural “So you think you can shoot” fundraiser was held at the high school gym.
It was a bright sunny morning as I walked into the Joshua Creek Cemetery. The live oaks cast harsh shadows on the hundreds of gravestones. It was much larger than I had imagined, the gravemarkers seemed to stretch on forever. In the distance I spotted a small red car. Walking closer I was gr…
Luke Wilson introduced the Facebook/social media group What’s RIGHT with DeSoto County! He was asked to describe the mission and the reaction. (Note: Luke Wilson is a member of the Arcadian family)
It has been a very successful mens basketball league, with 11 teams playing Tuesday and Thursday nights at the high school gym. Here are more photos taken during the season.
This column will present the answers to historical research questions posed to the DeSoto County Historical Society. If you have a question, please contact Carol Mahler. 863-445-0789, email@example.com.
The Fourth of July has come and gone, but some folks are still finishing off the fireworks that they started celebrating with about a week ago.
The Arcadian is featuring pets, livestock, exotic wildlife and their keepers in this occasional series. This week’s guest is Lynn Wittmeier, co-founder and licensed keeper at the Lions, Tigers & Bears wildlife sanctuary in DeSoto County. She shares challenges and the humor of Samson, a m…
NOTE: All phone numbers are in Area Code 863 unless stated otherwise. To add, remove or change any listing in the Community Calendar, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 494-0300. Listings are free for nonprofit and noncommercial organizations.
The Auxiliary of DeSoto Memorial Hospital in May held a monthly luncheon meeting, and the following members were awarded 10-year service pins: Phyllis Moore, Bob Siegel and Cindy Siegel.
Kids/teens: The Tampa Taiko Japanese Drummer returns to DeSoto County Library. Ron Collins will bring his large and very loud drums (Saturday) July 14 at 10:30 a.m. Ron last visited the library six years ago. Librarians said it would be really great if some of the children—now teenagers or y…
Friday Night Lights is a flag football summer program that is a safe, fun and educational activity for children 5-14, and who have the desire to learn the fundamentals of football.
King Solomon’s call for moral and spiritual integrity by citizens for the benefit of their nation may seem out of date, but his principle of practicing patriotism by doing right needs to be stressed and heeded: “Righteousness exalts a nation, but sin is a reproach to any people.” (Proverbs 14:34)
Gas prices in Florida declined for the 30th consecutive day on Sunday. However, higher oil prices may soon put the brakes on that downward streak at the pumps.
- Maybell, Bulldogs eliminate Wildcats, 58-56
- Update laws for felony theft charges, 02/21/19
- Thou shall read this and hopefully comply, Luke Wilson column, 02/21/19
- Little Willies luncheon and fashion show
- Mah jonggers strike, next year play in Arcadia
- January's Player of the Month ... entire team
- Lady Bulldogs perfect in preseason
- Time-traveling milk butler for hire (Grammar Guy), 02/21/19
- Mash Bash to benefit McSwain Park
- NAACP Freedom Fund Banquet, March 22 at Turner Center
- Keeping our DeSoto County courthouse safe
- Church bus wreck injures 7, pedestrian killed
- Woman charged with misusing senior's debit card
- Police beat, 02/21/19
- Woman charged with gun theft, witness tampering heads to prison
- Tiny Changes: Three squares a day, Marilyn McConnell, 02/21/19
- Special Olympics Day, Bill Wight/Wight Zebra Photography, 02/15/19
- History's mysteries: Burton's Barbershop, voting pioneer, 02/21/19
- Major alleged drug dealers nabbed
- Friends of Arcadia Airport pancake breakfast
- Real horse power!
- Tiny Changes: Getting the right start
- Budget disaster kit in 20 weeks: Week 6, 02/14/19
- Let your smile be a valentine (a much cheaper route), Luke Wilson 02/14/19
- Letters to the Editor, 01/14/19
- DeSoto Fair's Small Animal Costume Contest, 02/14/19
- Real horsepower, Florida Pulls at Turner Center
- Bulldogs win big on Senior Night, 80-48
- Meet Margaret Way, City Hall named in her honor
- DeSoto grad's new book, teachers sparked interest
- Practicing firefighters, how hard is it? These people are nuts
- Tiger tales: Cassie's happy story
- Way the ball bounces
- DeSoto obituaries, 02/14/19, Edwards, Stikeleather
- 'Portrait of a Community,' Feb. 22-23 at SFSC
- Happy Valentine's Day! Meet three life partners
- 'Tis the season in SW/central Florida, editorial, 01/14/19
- Luke Wilson cartoon, 02/14/19
- Spiritual awakening—the fire of the Spirit, Judy Doctor, 02/14/19
- Events calendar, 02/14/19
- Quilt show 101: Behind the scenes, blanketing SW Fla.
- Toyota's Sequoia rolls forward with powerhouse, auto review 01/14/19
- DeSoto business briefs, 02/14/19
- January-February academic achievers
- Great American Spit Out is Feb. 23
- How do you plead? Let's ask the expert (Grammar Guy)
- Twentieth Century Lit Club, life members, White Rose history
- History's mysteries: Smith-Brown gym, former dairy site
- Nocatee Old Timers Reunion welcoming
- Arcadia Woman's Club, Feb. 11 meeting minutes