By JIMMY PETERS
Anybody who knows me knows I don’t like change ... of any kind, for the most part. I will make exceptions, however, for stuff like socks and underwear. Other than that, I am happy with everything staying the same. My parents should’ve named me Status Quo Wilson.
John Lennon famously got into trouble in August 1966 when an interview from March of the same year dug up a single quote where he stated that The Beatles were (at the time) “more popular than Jesus.”
The brief note I received from a friend thanking me for calling revealed the depth of his depression. Knowing he was going through a difficult experience, I had called to ask how he was holding up and to encourage him. “Sometimes you feel so alone and wonder if anyone cares,” his note read.
Can something sound wrong, but actually be right? Take, for instance, French fries dipped in a Wendy’s Frosty. This combination shouldn’t be good, but it’s actually a dollar menu match made in heaven. There’s something indelibly delicious about the salty, slightly crispy potato strips when t…
There I was at one of my favorite places doing one of my favorite things: standing on the shore of a nearby lake fishing. Pauline had given me a new casting reel and I was giving it a workout, enjoying how quiet it functioned and how far I could cast as the day moved too quickly to a close.
Our western world has forgotten that God once spoke to people through dreams and visions. Yet through the years, I have listened to countless dreams and visions that have shed light on the paths of people, both ordinary and famous.
- Chevy's 2019 Camaro, Detroit muscle with 'cheaper' option, Len Ingrassia, 07/18/19
- Getting properly possessive, we can work it out (Grammar Guy), 07/18/19
- Heaven sent, excursions among the stars, Victor C. Rogus, 07/18/19
- True faith, 'the conviction that God loves us'
- Our American symbols—are they worth protecting?
- Ride & Slide for Arcadia at Mustang Promise ranch
- History's mysteries: DeSoto census workers 100 years ago
- Friday Night Lights' scrimmage showcase
- 'Go as fast as you can. Go as fast as you can. Go. Go. Go...'
- Facebook Comments
- State adds bite to shark fishing rules
- Movie guide: What's opening this week
- End of the road for Volkswagen Beetle
- How food truck owners beat the heat
- Five bucks gets presidential debate visit
- Truck flips at 70/17
- Homeless camp cleared at former Winn-Dixie
- Corizon not doing its job at county jail
- DeSoto Co. obituaries, 07/11/19, Goodwin Westberry
- Bouncehouse: DeSoto Mens Basketball, Camp Koonce
- Exercise to manage anxiety and depression
- Friday Night Lights with Pee Wees and Juniors
- 4-H Dairy Daze day camp, whose milk is golden?
- Is ‘gotten’ rotten? and other refreshers (Grammar Guy), 07/11/19
- Help wanted: US Census Bureau needs you!
- Few choice words, learning biking lingo
- Can we talk? Celebrate July 4th, in spite of ... (part 2)
- DeSoto Co. ag briefs, 07/11/19
- Rooting out invaders, invasive lantana
- DeSoto business briefs, 07/11/19
- DeSoto letters, 07/11/19
- State mobilizes in Hep A battle
- Hike into pioneer history at Rye Preserve, Arcadia day-tripping
- Fishing story to remember, 'unforgettable experience'
- Washington’s vision at Valley Forge—America’s destiny?
- Lexus's RX 450 L, roomy and classic quality, Len Ingrassia, 07/11/19
- Luke Wilson cartoon, 07/11/19
- 5 brilliant household uses for hairspray
- Arcadia wishes America happy birthday! No. 243 ... and counting
- Fuel prices dip, FDOT's new commuter app
- APD says man threatened another with gun
- Man arrested second time in a month
- Man held on drug, weapons charges
- Police beat
- Jones gets 2-year sentence on drug, weapon charges
- Mustang Promise ranch, horsing around is healthy
- I scream, we all scream about contaminated ice cream, Luke Wilson, 07/11/19
- Arcadia HPC minutes, next up on Aug. 12
- Nuco gets tax break, ground-breaking by October
- History's mysteries: Who lived at 618 E. Oak St.?