Six words changed Martin Luther’s life and gave him a distinguished place in history: “The just shall live by faith.” (Romans 1:17)
The last spring meeting of the Arcadia Woman’s Club was called to order Monday (May 13) by President Linda Waters. There were nine members present—our snowbird members have gone north. One member is in the hospital, and we wish her to get well soon.
I ran into my friend Lou at the farmers market on Saturday, and she looked troubled. This wasn’t because the sweet corn wasn’t in season yet, but because it’s graduation season, and she had a very good reason to be bothered. She immediately asked, “People don’t graduate college; they graduat…
A strong southwest wind is perfect for exploring the southern part of our county by bicycle—or a ride farther into Charlotte County. And after the trek in, you’ll sail home with the wind pushing from behind. We chose the communities of Hull and Fort Ogden as our destination for a recent Sund…
The DeSoto County baseball season was not supposed to end in a 5-0 loss at Lake Placid. The Bulldogs outplayed the Green Dragons, yet it was the Dawgs turning in their uniforms, while Lake Placid went on to win the district championship over Lemon Bay.
First glance at Nissan’s new Rogue Sport appears to be a carryover from last year’s model. But a closer look reveals enhancements that elevate its position in the SUV marketplace. Among other changes, the result is a safer ride with updated audio.
Hannah England was expecting to have her Miss DeSoto team pull out a win over Venice in a semifinal game in the league tournament. A win would have put them in the championship game against Port Charlotte.
The morning of Sept. 18, 1997, I made a special effort to document the occultation of the planet Saturn. This event was a rather rare one, an occurrence that I had looked forward to with great anticipation. Saturn’s disappearance behind the lunar disk occurs once in an approximate 18-year cy…
“Seize the day!” we hear from time to time, most remembered from the outstanding 1989 Robin Williams film “Dead Poets Society.” Those three words say more than you can imagine, and I think they’re worthy of heeding.
If things go as planned, Arcadia’s Yellow Deli Bakery should open this month. After all the speculation, it’s a reality. It’s a spin-off of the famous Yellow Deli diners in American cities and some foreign countries. First the bakery, then a Yellow Deli down the road, its owners said of plan…
Just when America’s favorite sports car couldn’t improve, along comes Corvette’s newest iteration of salivating engines to hike its world-class standings. The new ZR1 boosts the thrill to more than 700 horsepower, joining an elite circle of Lamborghini and Ferrari exotics ... for a lot less coin.
Where would we be without mothers? Well, obviously, we wouldn’t even “be,” much less be someplace. Therefore, mothers are necessary, and for more reasons than you can count on all your fingers and toes. Or calculator.
I have some urgent news—there’s an epidemic sweeping the country. So far, scientists haven’t found a cure, but I’m happy to report that it’s preventable. It leaves people looking foolish in front of other people they’re trying to impress at parties and can, in rare cases, cause a breakup of …
DeSoto sophomore Logan Adams was on the hill for just the fourth time this season, given the nod to start in the non-district contest at Port Charlotte. Adams looked like a seasoned veteran, however, easily confusing and baffling the Pirate hitters with a complete game one-hitter.
The scene before me was picturesque: a swiftly flowing river bubbling over and around rocks framed by flowering banks and protruding ledges. I was visiting a natural beauty spot, but swirling pools of foam caused by detergent being carelessly drained into the river somewhere upstream made th…
It was a “Customer Appreciation Party” Sunday at the Tree of Knowledge Park in Arcadia. The event, which coincided with the Cinco de Mayo holiday, was sponsored by Sigue Corp., the Arcadia company that DeSoto migrant workers will use to transfer earnings to families in Mexico. The celebratio…
- Staffer of the Month
- Luke Wilson cartoon, 05/16/19
- Viewing the heavens, ignore voices to quit, coffee helps, 05/16/19
- Go green! (sort of, kind of sold on electric vehicles)
- DeSoto obituaries, Patterson, Baker, 05/16/19
- L&E Club's fun adventure: Solomon's Castle
- Peace River Chapter DAR March/April meetings
- Christmas dreams—but did you know ...
- Stop the assault on local governments' authority
- About time to enjoy and appreciate this ride called life, Luke Wilson, 05/16/19
- Disaster kit on a budget (week 18 of 20)
- Man gets two-plus years for witness tampering; brother serving six
- Three-vehicle wreck on State Road 70
- APD says woman threatened informant via Facebook
- Man arrested on charges of battery, resisting arrest
- To-do list: Highlands Hammock State Park on Saturday
- Fowl play: chicken nuisance rules modified
- Hometown profile: Yellow Deli Bakery coming, buns moving for final 'push'
- Our websites now have a small fee but lots of 'freedom'
- Our websites now have a small fee and new perks
- Gas prices declining, but will it last?
- New ZR1 fastest Corvette ever, less $$ than exotics, Len Ingrassia, 05/09/19
- Death sentence for Florida’s schools, opinion, 05/09/19
- Just something about that special person we call Mom
- DeSoto letters to the editor, 05/09/19
- Tips on avoiding RAS Syndrome (Grammar Guy)
- Adams dominates in 1-0 thriller over Pirates
- Fort Ogden picnic, once was to 'orate and distribute cards'
- DeSoto celebrates National Day of Prayer, 05/09/19
- Cleaning the other environment, start with you and me, Roger Campbell, 05/09/19
- DeSoto ag briefs, 05/09/19
- Customer Appreciation Party says 'thanks' to workers
- Luke Wilson cartoon, 05/09/19
- Congratulations to DCHS achievers!
- Great job, Lee!
- Sunday is Mother's Day, what we say about mom
- Season of growth ends in 12-2 loss
- Bless your mother this Sunday, say something good, Judith Doctor, 05/09/19
- Win finishes perfect Senior Night, one and done from here
- DeSoto briefs, 05/09/19
- Water: We’re in it together, Elton Langford, 05/09/19
- Man charged with molesting child held on $1.5 million bond
- Pair charged with impersonating cops
- Arc DeSoto, class time fused with athletic pursuits, Jimmy Peters, 05/09/19
- Send-off for a fallen comrade, husband and dad
- Woman allegedly stabbed husband
- Did bombing contaminate Babcock-Webb?
- Police beat, 05/09/19
- Sebring writer's national recognition
- Starting next year, drivers could be ticketed for texting while driving