Our View: 2020 could get even worse
The settlement agreement to end a federal lawsuit over inadequate foster care in South Florida should provide some essential protections for vulnerable children in two Florida counties.
OUR POSITION: The public is best served when government notices are printed in newspapers and placed online. Rep. Randy Fine’s bill to eliminate publishing public notices in newspapers is just a slap at the press.
Tax season is underway and, unfortunately, that means that phone-scam season is also in full swing. Every year, the Internal Revenue Service sees a surge in scam-phone calls to taxpayers, and each year the scammers seem to become more sophisticated and aggressive when targeting us. According…
OUR POSITION: Newspapers continue to do their job holding governments and leaders accountable while providing a lifeblood of information to members of a community.
We take a moment today to acknowledge the passing of one of the most recognizable servicemen of the Second World War, a man of unfamiliar name and iconic image.
OUR POSITION: One Florida constitutional amendment may have had good intentions, but overly strict interpretation could hinder investigations and leave the public in the dark.
OUR VIEW: Newly elected Gov. Ron DeSantis continued to lay out a refreshing, new path when he announced support for measures that would finally bring smokable marijuana into the state’s medical marijuana dispensaries.
- Staffer of the Month
- Luke Wilson cartoon, 05/16/19
- Viewing the heavens, ignore voices to quit, coffee helps, 05/16/19
- Go green! (sort of, kind of sold on electric vehicles)
- DeSoto obituaries, Patterson, Baker, 05/16/19
- L&E Club's fun adventure: Solomon's Castle
- Peace River Chapter DAR March/April meetings
- Christmas dreams—but did you know ...
- Stop the assault on local governments' authority
- About time to enjoy and appreciate this ride called life, Luke Wilson, 05/16/19
- Disaster kit on a budget (week 18 of 20)
- Man gets two-plus years for witness tampering; brother serving six
- Three-vehicle wreck on State Road 70
- APD says woman threatened informant via Facebook
- Man arrested on charges of battery, resisting arrest
- To-do list: Highlands Hammock State Park on Saturday
- Fowl play: chicken nuisance rules modified
- Hometown profile: Yellow Deli Bakery coming, buns moving for final 'push'
- Our websites now have a small fee but lots of 'freedom'
- Our websites now have a small fee and new perks
- Gas prices declining, but will it last?
- New ZR1 fastest Corvette ever, less $$ than exotics, Len Ingrassia, 05/09/19
- Death sentence for Florida’s schools, opinion, 05/09/19
- Just something about that special person we call Mom
- DeSoto letters to the editor, 05/09/19
- Tips on avoiding RAS Syndrome (Grammar Guy)
- Adams dominates in 1-0 thriller over Pirates
- Fort Ogden picnic, once was to 'orate and distribute cards'
- DeSoto celebrates National Day of Prayer, 05/09/19
- Cleaning the other environment, start with you and me, Roger Campbell, 05/09/19
- DeSoto ag briefs, 05/09/19
- Customer Appreciation Party says 'thanks' to workers
- Luke Wilson cartoon, 05/09/19
- Congratulations to DCHS achievers!
- Great job, Lee!
- Sunday is Mother's Day, what we say about mom
- Season of growth ends in 12-2 loss
- Bless your mother this Sunday, say something good, Judith Doctor, 05/09/19
- Win finishes perfect Senior Night, one and done from here
- DeSoto briefs, 05/09/19
- Water: We’re in it together, Elton Langford, 05/09/19
- Man charged with molesting child held on $1.5 million bond
- Pair charged with impersonating cops
- Arc DeSoto, class time fused with athletic pursuits, Jimmy Peters, 05/09/19
- Send-off for a fallen comrade, husband and dad
- Woman allegedly stabbed husband
- Did bombing contaminate Babcock-Webb?
- Police beat, 05/09/19
- Sebring writer's national recognition
- Starting next year, drivers could be ticketed for texting while driving