Six words changed Martin Luther’s life and gave him a distinguished place in history: “The just shall live by faith.” (Romans 1:17)
At the last city council meeting, Arcadia mayor Jaccarie Simons proclaimed May as National Historic Preservation Month, inviting us to join him in recognizing and participating in this special observance.
The scene before me was picturesque: a swiftly flowing river bubbling over and around rocks framed by flowering banks and protruding ledges. I was visiting a natural beauty spot, but swirling pools of foam caused by detergent being carelessly drained into the river somewhere upstream made th…
Some years ago I realized I was holding unforgiveness against my mother. Her sin? Failing to call me by my name and see me as an individual, separate from her.
Most of us still believe there is a God, a higher power—in spite of the secularization of our society. According to Pew Research, more than three-fourths (77 percent) of Americans identify with some organized religion. But the question is: Why do we believe in God? And what do we want from Him?
It seems that no matter where you turn these days, someone is always complaining or being critical about something. It’s getting more difficult to escape from the negativity, and it’s having a harmful impact on our culture. We are quick to blame the news, social media, politicians or our per…
We were standing in line at the post office on a balmy, early spring day when I opened a conversation with the man in front of me commenting on how fast the line was moving, somewhat of a minor miracle. “Yes, he agreed, “there are three working at the counter today and that makes a difference.”
Victory Baptist Church, 309 N. Monroe, had two recent revivals: four days of old-fashioned evangelizing by Dr. Larry Bell, and a dedication of the historic sanctuary built more than 100 years ago as the first Catholic church in Southwest Florida!
Victory Baptist Church, 309 N. Monroe, Arcadia, had two recent revivals: four days of old-fashioned evangelizing by Dr. Larry Bell, and a dedication of the historic sanctuary built more than 100 years ago as the first Catholic church in Southwest Florida.
I was disappointed to learn that a once vibrant church was about to close. Learning about those looming locked doors brought memories of days when that church had been one of the most active in the community.
In the wake of the burning of Notre Dame Cathedral, cultural commenters are searching for the meaning of this destructive blaze.
This is the time of year when tale spinners come out of the woodwork with conspiracy theories about the authenticity of the resurrection of Christ. As always, when the dust clears, the fictions fall and the resurrection stands.
Do you know that more of us go to church during Easter than any other time of the year? At Christmas we go because of our families, but at Easter we go for ourselves. Why? Because we need to be touched by the message of Easter: that life comes out of death, meaning and purpose out of chaos, …
Why are you doing this is the question often asked of members of the Calvary Baptist Church South Dakota mission team. While the answers might vary from the 70-plus volunteers who have served in the mission since 2014, the central theme would be the same—Say Yes to God. Jesus was not crucifi…
When our third-grader was afraid to give his book report in school, I did what the Bible said: I took him to Jesus. As I prayed, my son stopped me and said, “Mom, Jesus is here, and he’s pulling all this gray stuff out of my heart.” The fear was totally gone!
The praises and palm branches of Palm Sunday’s crowd when Jesus entered Jerusalem are remembered at this time of the year ... but most forget the tears He shed over what the citizens of that sacred city would face in the years ahead.
“LIFE IS PRECIOUS” blazed across a woman’s sweatshirt stood out in bold letters. “It’s her way of telling the world she’s opposed to abortion,” I thought. Then I realized those three words on this walking billboard were more than a protest; they were a positive pronouncement, a plea to recog…
One tactic of the Radical Left is to silence good people by defaming their character and reputation—like they did to Judge Kavanaugh and the MAGA hat teen, Nicholas Sandmann.
- Staffer of the Month
- Luke Wilson cartoon, 05/16/19
- Viewing the heavens, ignore voices to quit, coffee helps, 05/16/19
- Go green! (sort of, kind of sold on electric vehicles)
- DeSoto obituaries, Patterson, Baker, 05/16/19
- L&E Club's fun adventure: Solomon's Castle
- Peace River Chapter DAR March/April meetings
- Christmas dreams—but did you know ...
- Stop the assault on local governments' authority
- About time to enjoy and appreciate this ride called life, Luke Wilson, 05/16/19
- Disaster kit on a budget (week 18 of 20)
- Man gets two-plus years for witness tampering; brother serving six
- Three-vehicle wreck on State Road 70
- APD says woman threatened informant via Facebook
- Man arrested on charges of battery, resisting arrest
- To-do list: Highlands Hammock State Park on Saturday
- Fowl play: chicken nuisance rules modified
- Hometown profile: Yellow Deli Bakery coming, buns moving for final 'push'
- Our websites now have a small fee but lots of 'freedom'
- Our websites now have a small fee and new perks
- Gas prices declining, but will it last?
- New ZR1 fastest Corvette ever, less $$ than exotics, Len Ingrassia, 05/09/19
- Death sentence for Florida’s schools, opinion, 05/09/19
- Just something about that special person we call Mom
- DeSoto letters to the editor, 05/09/19
- Tips on avoiding RAS Syndrome (Grammar Guy)
- Adams dominates in 1-0 thriller over Pirates
- Fort Ogden picnic, once was to 'orate and distribute cards'
- DeSoto celebrates National Day of Prayer, 05/09/19
- Cleaning the other environment, start with you and me, Roger Campbell, 05/09/19
- DeSoto ag briefs, 05/09/19
- Customer Appreciation Party says 'thanks' to workers
- Luke Wilson cartoon, 05/09/19
- Congratulations to DCHS achievers!
- Great job, Lee!
- Sunday is Mother's Day, what we say about mom
- Season of growth ends in 12-2 loss
- Bless your mother this Sunday, say something good, Judith Doctor, 05/09/19
- Win finishes perfect Senior Night, one and done from here
- DeSoto briefs, 05/09/19
- Water: We’re in it together, Elton Langford, 05/09/19
- Man charged with molesting child held on $1.5 million bond
- Pair charged with impersonating cops
- Arc DeSoto, class time fused with athletic pursuits, Jimmy Peters, 05/09/19
- Send-off for a fallen comrade, husband and dad
- Woman allegedly stabbed husband
- Did bombing contaminate Babcock-Webb?
- Police beat, 05/09/19
- Sebring writer's national recognition
- Starting next year, drivers could be ticketed for texting while driving