Steele is April's Athlete of the Month
Like they say: Practice, practice, practice. Athletes with the Arc DeSoto Special Olympics golf team hit the practice range last week at Arcadia Municipal Golf Course. Coaches, a swing expert and the players squared up for driving, putting, chipping and iron practice, tuning up for competiti…
A strong southwest wind is perfect for exploring the southern part of our county by bicycle—or a ride farther into Charlotte County. And after the trek in, you’ll sail home with the wind pushing from behind. We chose the communities of Hull and Fort Ogden as our destination for a recent Sund…
You should knowDeSoto’s Spring Sports Awards ceremony will be (Tuesday) May 21 at the cafeteria at 5:30 p.m. Also, the school is making available FREE sports physicals (Thursday) May 23, right after school.
The DeSoto County baseball season was not supposed to end in a 5-0 loss at Lake Placid. The Bulldogs outplayed the Green Dragons, yet it was the Dawgs turning in their uniforms, while Lake Placid went on to win the district championship over Lemon Bay.
Hannah England was expecting to have her Miss DeSoto team pull out a win over Venice in a semifinal game in the league tournament. A win would have put them in the championship game against Port Charlotte.
DeSoto sophomore Logan Adams was on the hill for just the fourth time this season, given the nod to start in the non-district contest at Port Charlotte. Adams looked like a seasoned veteran, however, easily confusing and baffling the Pirate hitters with a complete game one-hitter.
DeSoto’s 2019 baseball Senior Night was perfect ... in every way. The weatherman cooperated with a flawless evening, and more importantly the Bulldogs came through with a 12-2 win for their family and friends. The moms didn’t shed as many tears as they thought they would, and all seniors con…
Peyton Peacock, an Arcadia hometown girl, leaves this weekend to compete in one of the largest cheerleading events with only the best teams from all over the United States.
Bicycling is a great activity for families, offering benefits for kids that include exercise, freedom and fun. Children build muscle tone, coordination skills, endurance and stamina through cycling. Cycling fosters a sense of independence, and is an excellent lifetime fitness activity. Famil…
Going into last week’s ball game against Southeast, Bueford Patton would not be one of the players that the Seminoles would worry about beating them. The soft-spoken first baseman was hitting at the bottom of the order and usually has a DH swing the bat while he plays first base.
The DeSoto County Lady Bulldogs blew open a close game with six runs in the last two innings to win their final district game of the season, 9-3, over the visiting Booker Tornadoes.
RV Griffin Reserve, located off Kings Highway in DeSoto County, is a great place to explore. The Reserve boasts 6,000 acres and 21 miles of trails. This property was purchased by the Southwest Florida Water Management District in 1992. Nearly 2,500 acres is open to the public from sunrise to…
ENGLEWOOD — It wasn’t their finest effort, but Lemon Bay had more than enough to coast by DeSoto County, 12-2, in a Class 5A-District 12 softball semifinal Tuesday night.
PORT CHARLOTTE — DeSoto County sophomore Logan Adams tossed a complete game one-hitter as the Bulldogs edged Port Charlotte, 1-0, in a non-district baseball game Monday night.
It has been a rough week for the Lady Bulldogs softball team. After collecting just three hits against Port Charlotte, DeSoto traveled to Lemon Bay, and went home with a 10-0 loss and a no-hitter against them.
- Staffer of the Month
- Luke Wilson cartoon, 05/16/19
- Viewing the heavens, ignore voices to quit, coffee helps, 05/16/19
- Go green! (sort of, kind of sold on electric vehicles)
- DeSoto obituaries, Patterson, Baker, 05/16/19
- L&E Club's fun adventure: Solomon's Castle
- Peace River Chapter DAR March/April meetings
- Christmas dreams—but did you know ...
- Stop the assault on local governments' authority
- About time to enjoy and appreciate this ride called life, Luke Wilson, 05/16/19
- Disaster kit on a budget (week 18 of 20)
- Man gets two-plus years for witness tampering; brother serving six
- Three-vehicle wreck on State Road 70
- APD says woman threatened informant via Facebook
- Man arrested on charges of battery, resisting arrest
- To-do list: Highlands Hammock State Park on Saturday
- Fowl play: chicken nuisance rules modified
- Hometown profile: Yellow Deli Bakery coming, buns moving for final 'push'
- Our websites now have a small fee but lots of 'freedom'
- Our websites now have a small fee and new perks
- Gas prices declining, but will it last?
- New ZR1 fastest Corvette ever, less $$ than exotics, Len Ingrassia, 05/09/19
- Death sentence for Florida’s schools, opinion, 05/09/19
- Just something about that special person we call Mom
- DeSoto letters to the editor, 05/09/19
- Tips on avoiding RAS Syndrome (Grammar Guy)
- Adams dominates in 1-0 thriller over Pirates
- Fort Ogden picnic, once was to 'orate and distribute cards'
- DeSoto celebrates National Day of Prayer, 05/09/19
- Cleaning the other environment, start with you and me, Roger Campbell, 05/09/19
- DeSoto ag briefs, 05/09/19
- Customer Appreciation Party says 'thanks' to workers
- Luke Wilson cartoon, 05/09/19
- Congratulations to DCHS achievers!
- Great job, Lee!
- Sunday is Mother's Day, what we say about mom
- Season of growth ends in 12-2 loss
- Bless your mother this Sunday, say something good, Judith Doctor, 05/09/19
- Win finishes perfect Senior Night, one and done from here
- DeSoto briefs, 05/09/19
- Water: We’re in it together, Elton Langford, 05/09/19
- Man charged with molesting child held on $1.5 million bond
- Pair charged with impersonating cops
- Arc DeSoto, class time fused with athletic pursuits, Jimmy Peters, 05/09/19
- Send-off for a fallen comrade, husband and dad
- Woman allegedly stabbed husband
- Did bombing contaminate Babcock-Webb?
- Police beat, 05/09/19
- Sebring writer's national recognition
- Starting next year, drivers could be ticketed for texting while driving