Lemon Bay High sophomore Lauren Ragazzone didn't let her teammates in on her quest for history.
While most high school students spend spring break enjoying the beach, relaxing with friends and keeping their mind off of school, the Venice baseball team stayed hard at work.
Longtime Venice resident John Ryan moved to the city with his family in 1958 when his father, a manager for Florida Power & Light, was transferred to the area for work.
The Venice High boys and girls track and field teams defended their home turf well on Thursday in the Venice Track and Field Relays, with each Indians team finishing comfortably in first place out of the 10-team field that included local teams such as North Port, Lemon Bay and Imagine School.
As is the case with many athletic endeavors at Venice High, football is a year-round sport for most of the Indians, and the winning has carried over into the spring.
ENGLEWOOD — For more than 30 NCAA Division III women’s lacrosse teams, it was an opportunity to get out of the cold, do some team bonding, take a trip to the beach and play some meaningful games under good weather conditions.
Trailing district rival North Port since the top of the first inning, the Venice softball team finally found itself in a position to win the game in its very last at-bat in the home half of the seventh.
When Jack Stone first stepped into the gym at Osceola High School this past Friday for the Florida High School Athletic Association state championships, he wasn’t entering unfamiliar territory.
The Venice baseball team opened its Monday night game against Sarasota as it typically does — scratching across an early run and pitching lights-out baseball at Sarasota High School.
Though the Venice Indians boys volleyball team lost a four set district match to the Tampa Bay HEAT on Tuesday night at the TeePee, no one in the boisterous crowd went home feeling cheated.
Though Florida doesn't really have a "winter" weather season — as you can tell by the temps in the high-70s and 80s for much of the past two months — we do have a winter sports season.
The Charlotte girls tennis team defeated Port Charlotte 5-2 on Tuesday at home. The Tarpons got wins in singles from Sofia Scalvini (6-4, 6-1), Liz Davis (7-5, 6-0), Paige Kehoe (7-5, 6-3) and Alina Bosshard (6-0, 6-1). In doubles, Scalvini and Davis won 8-5. Port Charlotte’s lone win came f…
More Preps News
- Indians make 'newbie errors' in district loss to HEAT
- Things you may have missed from winter sports
- Photos from Charlotte girls tennis
- Tarpons tennis defeats Port Charlotte 6-1
- Former Pirate Atherley wins national title with Miami
- Two Tarpons bring home titles, other locals come close
- Pano shoots 69, three shots back at SKYiGOLF Championship
- Pirates boys capture Charlotte Invite
- Pirates mercy Cape Coral 10-0
- Venice baseball earns hard-fought district win
- Venice advances one of three wrestlers to second day of states
- Indians' hot start is short-lived in first loss
- Lady Indians test Green Wave in close district battle
- Glasnow rounds into form, bullpen shaky
- 11 local wrestlers still alive at States
- Alexa Pano, 14, in hunt at SKYiGOLF Championship at Charlotte Harbor National
- Pirates score late win 10-2
- The Minnesota Manta Ray is ready to wrestle at States
- Former North Port Wrestler qualifies for Nationals
- Three Venice pitchers debut in warm-up for Friday
- Athletes of the Week
- PREP ROUNDUP: Venice, North Port boys place top-3 at County Championship
- Three Venice wrestlers qualify for this week's state meet
- Venice softball inches past Lemon Bay in slugfest
- Sun Preps Girls Golf All-Area Team
- Manta Rays sweep Charlotte on court
- Steele's no-hitter tames Mustangs 13-0
- Tarpons win five regional titles, send 11 to states
- Mantas claim second consecutive class 1A-3 regional title,
- Phillies overwhelm Rays, Tampa tops Toronto
- Tarpon wrestlers dominate Day 1 at regionals
- Venice baseball opens season with back-to-back road wins
- Pair of Roper homers leads Venice to victory
- High-flying Venice sweeps Brooks DeBartolo
- Historic season ends for Pirates in Elite 8
- Pitching helps Bobcats shut out Pirates
- Locals shine at Lady Tarpon Invite
- PREP ROUNDUP: Defending champion Indians open season with shutout
- Tarpons walk out of Lemon Bay with a win
- Tarpons should hold heads high after special season
- Cats blank Lemon Bay in opener
- Pirates win boys weightlifting County Championship
- Athletes of the Week
- Venice lineman Thomas Shrader finds the spotlight after breakout season
- PREP ROUNDUP: Charlotte girls beat Lady Pirates in rain shortened match
- Rain suspends Venice softball against Braden River
- Pirates hold on to reach regional finals
- Machado, Tarpons take care of Pirates 5-0
- Pirates' Rhoten, father share special playoff moment
- Charlotte dominates field to take district title