Just as quickly as spring football arrived, it’s now gone.
University of Miami’s Michelle Atherley is the Atlantic Coast Conference heptathlon champion for a second consecutive year. The Port Charlotte High School graduate was first in the 100-meter hurdles, high and long jumps, shot put and 200 run; second in the 800; and seventh in the javelin thr…
CAPE CORAL — Charlotte High School football coach Binky Waldrop had to be quite pleased by what he saw out of his Tarpons on Friday during their three-way spring football game against Gulf Coast and Cape Coral.
With the offense still knocking off the rust in the first half of the annual spring game, the Port Charlotte defense had to hold back an athletic offense full of Division I potential.
Friday marked the first time the Lemon Bay softball team hosted a regional final game, and it was also the first time the Lady Mantas had made it within a game of states since 2015.
The Venice baseball team was on the road for Saturday night’s regional semifinals against Gulf Coast, but it couldn’t have felt like more of a home game for the Indians.
The Venice football team put its talent up against the best from 2018, facing off against the state champion Lakeland Dreadnaughts in their annual spring game on Thursday night.
The Venice baseball team knew that if it could knock out Riverdale starting pitcher Carson Palmquist early enough in the game, then the Indians would be in a good spot to advance to the regional semifinals.
Some of you may remember my ‘Know the Foe’ series from the fall, in which I detailed each week’s opponent for the Venice football team.
After a rain-soaked Friday night, North Port High finally got to play its annual spring football game on Saturday, giving the coaches and fans a glimpse at what they have for next year.
NORTH PORT — On Thursday, North Port seniors Jalien Whye and Andrew Syzonenko will walk across a stage that rests on the field they poured the past four years of their lives on.
More Preps News
- For me, sports go far beyond the game
- WRESTLER OF THE YEAR: Willis' will to win
- All-Area Wrestling
- Mantas lose marathon to Green Dragons
- Tarpons sign to perform on the hardwood and links
- Mantas take advantage of Green Dragons' wildness
- Venice baseball pounds Tarpons into submission for district title
- Venice football returns to Powell-Davis Stadium
- Lady Wildcats out-hit Lady Tarpons in regional quarterfinals
- After two days of delays, Lady Mantas get decisive win
- Charlotte punches ticket to regionals, beat Wave
- Gators silence Port Charlotte bats ending Pirates season
- Indians bats wake up late to bury Bobcats
- The rings don't stop coming at Venice High
- Pirates dominant in district opener, defeat Red Knights 11-2
- PHOTOS: Check out the sights from the state track meet
- Area athletes shine as track season reaches its end
- Venice boys tennis caps year with first-ever state championship
- Indians look to bring home hardware at state meet
- Eight Pirates sign to play collegiately
- Fort Myers powers past Tarpons for 7A-11 title
- Tarpons dominant in victory over Manta Rays; poised for districts
- Weather makes for grueling Day 1 of state track meet
- Bobcats send off seniors with win at home
- Venice baseball readies for playoff run
- Lady Pirates season ends with loss to North Fort Myers
- JV call-ups lead Pirates over North Port
- Pirates walk-off on senior night
- Charlotte fends off late surge, moves on to District final
- Lady Mantas dominate Lady Bulldogs to reach district finals
- Kerkering shuts down Sailors in playoff dress rehearsal
- Bulldogs win pitching duel against Pirates
- Lady Pirate seniors enter survival mode, move on to District semis
- Pirates preparing for tough run to playoffs
- North Port relay, other locals earn at-large bid to States
- Charlotte girls lead the way as local athletes qualify for States
- Venice girls basketball coach steps down
- Venice boys tennis win regional title for second time in team history
- Venice softball sends off seniors with mercy-rule win
- The long run of Joseph Mwesige Smith
- Mantas lose tough match to Vikings in regional championship
- Venice baseball loses first home game to Calvary Christian
- Tarpons teeming with talent as four elite athletes are headed to the next level
- IMG Academy ascends to victory in win over Tarpons
- Charlotte outslugs Mantas on senior night
- Venice football is back: A look ahead to 2019
- Venice shuts out Lemon Bay in tuneup for Districts
- Venice boys tennis blows by Barron Collier in regional semifinals
- Venice softball held scoreless in losses to Pirates
- Pirates continue winning ways against Lemon Bay