Several businesses at 1825 Tamiami Trail in Port Charlotte were evacuated Wednesday morning after a caller reported the smell of gas.
The call came from the Best RX Pharmacy in the vicinity of the Fortune Garden Chinese restaurant and a nail salon, in the same mall housing Books A Million and Staples off Cochran Boulevard, according to Charlotte County Fire & EMS spokesperson Todd Dunn.
After business owners and managers were told to evacuate, a thorough check of that part of the mall did not reveal a gas leak, said Dunn.
The “all clear” was given around 11 a.m., within an hour of the call.
A worker at Golden Krust Caribbean Restaurant in that section of the mall told officials the pharmacy had previously reported smelling gas.