A semi truck caught fire on Interstate 75 northbound near Kings Highway just before 10 a.m. Friday, according to a Facebook post by Charlotte County Fire & EMS.
The driver said he heard a loud bang, lost power, and saw flames, but still managed to get the truck to the shoulder of the road. Charlotte County Fire & EMS responded, along with the North Port Fire Department, and quickly put out the fire, according to the post. One lane of the interstate remained closed while the truck was hauled away.
The Charlotte County Sheriff’s Office reported the following arrests:
• Seth Tyler Chancy, 20, 2100 block of Mark Ave., Punta Gorda. Charge: petty theft second degree, first offense and violation of probation. Bond: none.
• Jack O’Neal Pickford, 46, 20 block of Pepe Court, Punta Gorda. Charge: petty theft first degree property $100 to under $300. Bond: $3,000.
• Edward Anthony Smith III, 43, 100 block of Albert Lane, Port Charlotte. Charges: violation of probation, engaging in contracting business without certification, and petty theft first degree property $100 to under $300. Bond: $11,128.
• Thomas Michael McDowell, 62, 2100 block of Wonderwin St., Port Charlotte. Charge: municipal ordinance violation. Bond: $1,000.
• George Herman Williams IV, 36, 25200 block of Nocturne Lane, Port Charlotte. Charge: felony battery. Bond: $5,000.
• Jose Noe Hernandez, 24, of Lehigh Acres. Charge: violation of probation. Bond: none.
• Jeremiah Richard Tilley, 26, of Gotha, Fla. Charge: violation of probation. Bond: none.
• Tara Anne Palermo, 45, 1400 block of Flamingo Drive, Englewood. Charge: violation of probation. Bond: none.
— Compiled by Anne Easker