Parkinson’s group meetings
• Join us for the Port Charlotte support group special presentation by Skylar Hunt and Randy Jelks of Trulieve presents “Medical Cannabis 101 with Trulieve” at 1:30-3 p.m. July 9 at Murdock Baptist Church, Student Center Building, 18375 Cochran Blvd., Port Charlotte.
• North Port Parkinson’s Wellness Club “Approaches to Better Balance and Posture” from 1:30-3 p.m. July 10 at Sarasota Memorial Health Care Center, North Port Medical Plaza, 2nd Floor, 2345 Bobcat Village Center Road, North Port.
• North Port JFCS Care Partner Connection with Carolyn Stephens, LCSW (Open Forum and Sharing) and Parkinson’s Power Hour from 1:30-3 p.m. July 17 at Neuro Challenge Foundation North Port, 5600 Peace River Road, North Port.
• Englewood Parkinson’s Support Group (Sharing and Support for people with Parkinson’s and their families) from 10-11:30 a.m. July 19 at St. David’s Episcopal Church, 401 S. Broadway, Englewood.
• Learn about Inbrija during a Special Presentation by Acorda “Parkinson’s OFF Periods and the Role of a New Treatment Option” from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. July 22 at Neuro Challenge Foundation North Port, 5600 Peace River Road, North Port. RSVP to Chelsea Dooley at email@example.com or 941-926-641, ext: 300.
• North Port JFCS Care Partner Connection with Carolyn Stephens, LCSW (Open Forum and Sharing) and Parkinson’s Power Hour from 1:30-3 p.m. July 24 at Neuro Challenge Foundation North Port, 5600 Peace River Road, North Port.
• Punta Gorda Parkinson’s Support Group People with Parkinson’s and Care Partners Breakout Groups from 10-11:30 a.m. July 26 at Punta Gorda Isles Civic Association, 2001 Shreve St., Punta Gorda.
For a full listing of Neuro Challenge programs and services, visit www.neurochallenge.org.
Learn how eating habits can affect your breathing
Pulmonary Diet Nutrition Class will be held from 10-11 a.m. July 9 at Bayfront Health Wellness & Rehab Center, 733 E. Olympia Ave., Punta Gorda. Learn how eating habits can affect your breathing. Call 941-637-2450 to register.
Hip and Knee Pain? Ask Dr. Davis
Have your questions answered one-on-one for all your hip and knee ailments from noon to 1 p.m. July 10 at Bayfront Health Punta Gorda Medical Office Plaza, 4th Floor Conf. Room, 713 E. Marion Ave., Punta Gorda. Lunch provided. Register at www.BayfrontHealthEvents.com.
‘Medicare 101’ presentations
Future and current Medicare beneficiaries are encouraged to attend free presentations about the ins and outs of Medicare. Medicare 101 will be offered by the Area Agency on Aging for Southwest Florida and SHINE/SMP (Serving Health Insurance Needs of Elders/Senior Medicare Patrol). Medicare 101 is a well-rounded presentation covering the basics of Medicare for those soon to be eligible as well as those currently on Medicare. Participants will learn the basics of Medicare Parts A, B, C and D, discover more about the many plan options available.
Upcoming Medicare 101 programs from SHINE are scheduled for the following dates and locations:
July 11: 1:30 p.m. at the Venice Friendship Center, 2350 Scenic Drive, Venice
July 13: 1 p.m. at the Englewood Charlotte Library, 3450 N. Access Road, Englewood
July 17: 2 p.m. at the Sarasota Friendship Center, 1888 Brother Geenen Way, Sarasota
July 25: 11:30 a.m. at Goodwill-Manasota Honore, 1701 N. Honore Ave., Sarasota
The Medicare 101 presentation will feature professionally trained counselors from the SHINE/SMP program. The Florida Department of Elder Affairs’ SHINE program provides free, unbiased information and assistance for Florida Medicare beneficiaries year-round as they carefully evaluate their health care options. SHINE is administered locally by the Area Agency on Aging for Southwest Florida (AAASWFL).
For more information about the upcoming Medicare 101 presentations, or to receive one-on-one Medicare counseling assistance from SHINE, individuals may contact The Area Agency on Aging for Southwest Florida’s Helpline at 866-413-5337. For a listing of SHINE counseling sites and public events in our area, visit www.FloridaSHINE.org.
Ban the Bugs
Learn the signs and symptoms for a variety of infectious diseases, how they are transmitted or acquired, which can be prevented, and how to protect you and your family from most from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. July 16 at Punta Gorda Isles Civic Association, 2001 Shreve St., Punta Gorda. Lunch provided. RSVP required. Call 941-637-1655 to register.
Quit Your Way
Quitting tobacco isn’t easy. Find help from 2:30-4:30 p.m. July 22 at Bayfront Health Port Charlotte, Conference Center, 2500 Harbor Blvd., Port Charlotte. Bayfront Tools and services to help you get started. Free. Call 866-534-7909 to register.
Emotions of the Heart: Stress Management Class
Everyone experiences stress from time to time; however, excessive stress can take a toll on your health. Learn techniques to recognize, manage, overcome and cope from 1:15-2:15 p.m. July 23 at Bayfront Health Wellness & Rehab Center, 733 E. Olympia Ave., Punta Gorda. Call 941-637-2450 to register.
Baby Care and Safety Class
This newborn class will teach you the basics of baby care and answer questions about how to keep your newborn safe from 6-8 p.m. July 23 at Bayfront Health Port Charlotte, Conference Center, 2500 Harbor Blvd., Port Charlotte. Attendance should be planned for the last trimester of pregnancy. Partners are encouraged to attend. Register at www.BayfrontHealthEvents.com.
Pirate Treasure Trot 5K
This 5K race is held as a fundraiser to benefit the Boys and Girls Cross Country teams at Port Charlotte High School on Aug. 17. The 5K course is flat and winding, multi-surface, with the start and finish on the paved track. The course includes some grass fields, paved sidewalks, parking, and driveways on and surrounding the Port Charlotte High School Campus and the Charlotte County Technical Center. The 1-mile fun run will be on the track and grass fields on the Port Charlotte High School Campus. This year’s race shirt will be made from a microfiber performance material. Only those runners and walkers that pre-register in the 5K (on or before July 30) will be guaranteed these shirts. One-milers that pre-register and 5K participants that do not pre-register may purchase shirts for $5 online (on or before Aug.13) or on race day until supplies run out. www.runsignup.com/Race/FL/PortCharlotte/PirateTreasureTrot5K.
‘Remember the Fallen’ 5K & 10K Memorial Run
The NPFR Honor Guard will host their ninth annual “Remember the Fallen” 5K & 10K Memorial Run on Sept. 7 at 1602 Kramer Way, North Port. Inspired by the events that took place on Sept. 11, 2001, this will be a day to remember, honor and support the first responders and members of the armed services who protect and serve our community and country every day. Get more information at runsignup.com/Race/FL NorthPort/Rememberthe Fallen5KMemorialRun.