"Mrs. Moulton" Synonymous with Early School System

This early Winter Haven School stood where the downtown Post Office is today. Mrs. Moulton is believed to be the woman in the center wearing the dark skirt.

In 1937 most Winter Haven residents thought the name Mrs. E. K. Moulton to be synonymous with the public school system. In September of that year, she marked 35 years as a teacher in the local system – she had been a teacher through nearly two-thirds of the community's school history at that time.

Edith Kronmiller Moulton was a native of Indiana and arrived in Winter Haven in 1902. She first taught in the Eloise district school in 1903-04 and from 1904 to 1937 was a respected member of the school faculty. There wasn't much of a "faculty" in the early days during the first several years, she and another teacher handled the entire school system. (See photo that accompanies this installment.)

During her first year (1904) John Garrison was the principal and he refused an increase in salary from the $60 per month he was receiving. He resigned in 1905 and was succeeded by Mr. Walker who served one year followed by the Rev. Mr. Woolrich (a Baptist minister) and a Mr. Toennies each serving for one year (no first names were reported in this article). In 1908 Professor M. L. Hinderliter who had recently arrived from Illinios, became the principal and a second period of local school expansion ensued. Hinderliter served until 1913 when he retired from educational work. (He was still living in the area in 1937.) Between 1913 and 1937 the schools would be led by C. E. Kensinger, Samuel Long, Walter Roberts, E.L. Beeson, C. I. Hollingsworth, and J. M. Leps.

Edith Moulton taught various grades from 1903 to 1915 from first through fourth. Then in 1915, the new Winter Haven High School was built and she taught first grade in what was to be called Central Grammar School. The article noted she was widely recognized for her teaching of "primarians."

Moulton and her husband W. G. (who taught in Indiana schools for 28 years) were active members of the First Methodist Church (now Beymer Memorial Methodist).

Researched by Bob Gernert Jr. Taken from the Daily Chief, October 28, 1937 - 27th Anniversary Trade and Progress Edition.

The Museum of Winter Haven History is now open Saturdays from 9 a.m. to Noon. Group tours are available for four or more people by appointment. The museum, located at 660 Pope Avenue and Lake Howard Drive, is free and open to the public. Come explore. For further information contact Bob Gernert, 863-206-6855 or bobgernert@gmail.com

0
0
0
0
0

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.