There are lots of things to do at the Shannon Staub Library in North Port.
Registration is open for “Meet the Authors of Ribbons of Scarlet,” from 2-4 p.m. Oct. 5. Authors Kate Quinn, Stephanie Dray, Laura Kamoie, Sophie Perinot, Heather Webb, and E. Knight will be on hand to discuss their collaborative work. Patrons can register at the front desk or online.
Plus, the Chess Club returns Mondays in a new time slot.
Here is the complete run-down:
• Teens Who Code, 10 a.m.-noon. Teens will learn the four core computer science concepts every programmer needs to know. They will be challenged to use code to solve real-world problems that they care about.
• Teen Advisory Board, 12:30-2 p.m. Join the Teen Advisory Board to make a difference at your local library while accruing community service hours! Snacks provided.
• Tabletop Gaming, 2:30-4:30pm Choose from a selection of familiar and unique games to play with family and friends. This event is open to all ages!
• Chess Club, 5-7 p.m. The chess club is an opportunity to play friendly games of chess in a low-stress environment. Patrons of all ages and levels are welcome to come, as help is given to those who need it! Chess sets are provided. Registration is recommended.
• Lego Club, 5:30-7 p.m. Work on your own creations or build as a team. We provide the LEGOs, you provide the imagination. For children of all ages and their families.
• Teen Anime Club, 5:30-7:30 p.m. Watch anime, eat snacks and explore Japanese culture! Recommended for grades 6-12.
• Partners in Play, 10:15-11:15 a.m. Enjoy special uninterrupted play time with your child in our drop-in free Partners in Play parenting education groups. From birth to 5 years old. Offered by Forty Carrots Family Center. Space is limited, pick up a ticket at the Youth Desk the day of the event.
• Adult Coloring Lounge, 10:30 a.m.-noon. Join us for a fun and unique way to unwind, reduce stress, and express your creativity at the Shannon Staub Library. All supplies will be provided. Artistic talent is not required. Refreshments are included.
• Baby Time: Welcome to Our World, 11:45 a.m.-12:45 p.m. Join other families navigating the newborn phase in a supportive, fun, and informative class with Forty Carrots’ Parenting Educators. For parents, and babies from birth to 7 months old.
• Yak and Yarn, 10-11:30 a.m. Come and socialize with fellow knitting, crocheting and sewing enthusiasts! All skill levels welcome. Bring your current project to work on or create something new.
• Baby Time: Pirates, 10-10:30 a.m. Early literacy begins at birth. Bond with your baby through stories, songs, parachute time and peek-a-boo scarf songs. For ages 0-2 years old.
• Toddler Time: Pirates, 10:30-11 a.m. Featuring great stories, singing, dancing, and movement activities young children learn valuable skills and enjoy being with other children. For ages 2-3.
• Story Time: Pirates, 11-11:30 a.m. Join us for a fun-filled morning of reading, songs, dancing, learning Kindergarten readiness skills and craft activities. For ages 3-6.
• Open Lab in the Creation Station, noon-8 p.m. Come build, experiment, and create with our 3D printer, laser cutter, sewing machines, and more. Recommended ages 4 and up.
• Crafty Things: Fairy Houses, 2-3:30 p.m. Bring your imagination to the land of fairies! Use materials from nature to construct a fairy house of your very own. Recommended for adults.
• Growing Young Readers and Writers, 4-5:30 p.m. A club where reading and writing are fun. Nature is used to inspire young readers and writers. For ages 6 and up.