1. Apples are considered to be a part of the rose family.
2. Apples are fat-free, sodium-free and cholesterol-free. The average apple contains about 80 calories. All of those things factor in to the apple being one of the healthiest snacks to choose.
3. The state of Washington produces the largest number of apples in the United States, but apples are grown in all 50 states.
4. Apples float because 25 percent of its volume is air.
5. There are approximately 7,500 kinds of apples worldwide. One of the favorites, the Fuji apple, was founded by Thomas Jefferson.