LAKE PLACID — Charlie and Liz Swift will have a unique memory to look back on when remembering their 50th anniversary party — the threat of a fire. Lake Placid Fire Chief Adam Hess confirmed that a lightning storm has been blamed on setting the attic insulation on fire.

A group of friends and family had gathered at 48 Catfish Lane Friday night in order to celebrate the Swifts’ anniversary on Saturday. They were fortunate in their choice of anniversary guests when Tallahassee Fire Lieutenant Rob Koegel was in the house.

Koegel was fixing a door when he said, “Something smells bad; you had better call 911.”

Of course, the fireman was right and Lake Placid and Placid Lakes Volunteer Fire Departments responded quickly to the scene, as well as Highlands Fire Services Supervisor Scott Canaday. Duke Energy was also on scene to shut off power to the home.

It wasn’t long before the firefighters cleared the scene and Duke Energy hooked up the power once more.

Photos:

KIM LEATHERMAN/STAFF

This house at 48 Catfish Lane was the sight of a fire scare as the local volunteer firefighters put out smoldering insulation that was blamed on a lightning strike.

Lake Placid and Placid Lakes Volunteer Fire Departments came to the aid of the inhabitants of 48 Catfish Lane on Friday evening after they smelled smoke coming from the attic.

0
0
0
0
0

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.