Step one of three in the implementation of a recycling surcharge is on next Tuesday’s Venice City Council agenda.
When the basic recycling rate was increased in September, staff warned the Council that an additional increase might be needed to offset a hike in the fee charged by the recycling hauler.
Due to a severe decline in the market for recycled materials in China, the hauler increased its fee by $120 per ton — more than 200 percent.
A surcharge of about $2 a month will cover the higher fee and may only be needed for a few months, until the county negotiates a contract with a new hauler.
First reading of an ordinance allowing the imposition of a surcharge by resolution takes place Tuesday. Adoption of the ordinance and resolution is set for Nov. 27.
Also on Tuesday the Council is scheduled to:
• Vote on an ordinance rezoning Pinebrook Park to Open Use, Conservation with Restrictions.
• Vote on a resolution making Venice a member of the American Flood Coalition.
• Vote on a resolution creating a Stormwater Utility Rate Stakeholder’s Work Group.
• Discuss painting the storm drains that connect to the city’s Gulf outfalls and creating an educational program about keeping debris out of them.
• Discuss workforce and affordable housing.
• Discuss adopting an ordinance regarding skimmer devices at gas pumps.
• Discuss requesting advisory boards to report to the Council semi-annually.
• Discuss the protocol for responding to citizen concerns and inquiries during audience participation.
• Discuss red tide.
• Discuss compiling island traffic count data.
• Discuss the tracking of citizen complaints.
• Consider adopting a resolution to oppose offshore drilling.
• Vote on a resolution regarding updating the Venice Section of the Sarasota County Local Mitigation Strategy Work Group Project List and the Floodplain Management Plan.
• Approve the disposal of surplus vehicles.
• Accept funds for bulletproof vests.
• Approve a proposed workers’ compensation claim settlement with James Williamson.
• Approve a work assignment with Stantec Consulting Inc. a Fiscal Year 2019 Stormwater Rate Study.
• Vote on a Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System Permit Monitoring Interlocal Agreement with Sarasota County.
• Vote on a funding agreement with the Venice Housing Authority for the Venetian Walk II Project.
• Consider appointing Beth Flerlage to the Public Art Advisory Board.
• Recognize Council Member Fred Fraize for his service on City Council.
• Proclaim Nov. 5-16, 2018, as Mayor’s Feed the Hungry Food Drive.
• Proclaim November 27, 2018 as #GivingTuesday.
The City Council meets Tuesday, Nov. 13, in Council Chambers at Venice City Hall, 401 W. Venice Ave. The complete agenda and backup materials are available at VeniceGov.com under the “Meetings” tab. You can also access the meeting online from there.