• Venice Peace Project holds meditation the second Thursday of every month from 5 to 6 p.m. at the William H. Jervey Jr. Venice Public Library, 300 S. Nokomis Ave., Venice. Sit in silence, meditate, pray, hold good thoughts. Visit: VenicePeaceProject.org.
• The Women’s Fellowship of Venice United Church of Christ welcomes the community to its first card party, which will be held on Jan. 15, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the church, 620 Shamrock Blvd., Venice.
Women’s Fellowship will provide some card games and board games, and invites participants to bring their own favorite games, (excluding Hand and Foot, due to the noise of the card counter). The cost is $15 per person, which includes lunch. Call 941-493-6741 for additional information.
• A free friendship lunch is served at Emmanuel Lutheran Church, 790 South Tamiami Trail, Venice, 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m. the second and fourth Wednesdays of the month. All are welcome. For details, call 941-488-4942.
• One Christ Won City sponsors public prayer Tuesdays at noon at Centennial Park. Corporate prayer breaks into small groups for individual prayer at 12:30-12:45 p.m. Bring water and chair. All welcome. Call Jim Foubister, 941-223-1771.
• MaryBeth Runk and volunteers from area churches feed the hungry at the Venice Train Depot Tuesday and Thursday, 10 a.m.-noon. Call 419-202-6114.
• All may attend the Women’s Ministry Home League of The Salvation Army of South Sarasota County, 1051 Albee Farm Road, Venice. The club meets on Tuesdays at 10 a.m.
• Our Mother’s House of Catholic Charities, seeks volunteers to help teachers in Head Start classrooms feed and play with the children during two- or three-hour shifts. Both male and female volunteers are welcome, as are students seeking community service hours.
Head Start is open 7:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m. weekdays and 5:30-7:30 p.m. Thursdays. Call Marisa, 941-355-3680, ext. 305; email email@example.com.
• St. Mark’s Episcopal Church, holds free magnifying workshops for the vision impaired on Tuesdays, offered by Lighthouse Vision Loss Education Center. Participants will learn about various types of magnifiers and get hands-on practice to help choose one. Registration is required. Call 941-359-1404.
• Sarasota Jewish Chorale rehearses at 7 p.m. Thursdays, Hecht School, Jewish Federation Campus, 580 Mcintosh Road, Sarasota. This friendly performing group is eager for new singers who are able to read music. People of all voice parts and faiths are welcome. Call Susan at 941-355-8011; visit: SarasotaJewishChorale.org.